Initiated by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India, Red Ribbon club is an on-campus intervention programme and a platform for students in educational institutions to create awareness on the symptoms, care, prevention and control of AIDS/HIV and to prepare the youth to become peer educators within and outside the campus.
As directed by the Govt. of Mizoram, Red Ribbon Club was established in Govt. Champhai College (GCC) by Principal V. Suakbuanga on 17th August, 2006 with the following aims and objectives:
- to facilitate voluntary blood donation camps and to promote voluntary non-remunerated blood donation
- to instil a safe and healthy lifestyle
- to encourage tolerance for those affected by HIV/AIDS
- to eliminate myths and misconceptions in the society by generating general awareness about the prevention, care, treatment of HIV/AIDS and the support system provided by the government.
- to work towards the reduction of stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV & AIDS
- to equip the youth with correct information on sex, sexuality, sexually transmitted disease and other related issues
- to form peer educator for ensuring sustainability of the club.
Nodal Officer: Mr. C. Laldawngliana, Department of Chemistry served as the first Nodal Officer of Govt. Champhai College Red Ribbon Club from 2006-2008. He was succeeded by Ms. Jennifer Saizamliani, Department of English from 2008 -2010. Ms. C. Lalnunpuii, Associate Professor, Department of Mizo took over the charge from 2010 till date and Mr. J. Lalramnghaka, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics was also appointed as Nodal Officer from 2022.
Activities: GCC Red Ribbon Club, since its inception has functioned under Mizoram State AIDS Control Society (MSACS), and its activities are facilitated by cooperation with NSS Unit. All the students of the College are enrolled as its members whereas two or three students are selected from each class as Peer Educators. The Peer Educators pass their knowledge gained from Peer Educator Training held at Aizawl to their fellow students. A number of fruitful extension and outreach activities have been undertaken.
List of Acivity Report :